Nobody appreciates traditional herbalism more than we do at Dragon Herbs. The geniuses who discovered various herbs and invented herbal formulations have benefitted billions of lives. Traditional blending of components and processing techniques are nothing short of miraculous. And the work that has been done is continuing through the scientific and digital eras. Scientists are discovering how the herbs and superfoods work, where the best varieties come from and how to vastly improve processing and delivery systems. Our respect and gratitude for traditional herbalism is eternal.
Herbalism in the 21st century is poised to take a giant leap forward. With the advances in modern research, chemistry and nutraceutical engineering, it is possible to extract potent, clean, effective and safe nutraceuticals from herbs. As a result, these nutraceuticals can be used to dramatically boost the effect of already-efficacious herbs.
- Ginsenosides – A class of natural product glycosides and triterpene saponins. Compounds in this family are found almost exclusively in the plant genus Panax (Ginseng); Ginsenoside content varies significantly due to environmental influences. Ginsenosides can be found in the root, rhizome (head) and leaves of Ginseng. When Ginseng is freshly dried, it is called “white Ginseng” and contains a range of over 30 ginsenosides. When the fresh Ginseng is steamed, it turns brick red and is known as “red Ginseng.” The steaming stimulates the production of ginsenoside metabolites such as Rg3, which have added important biological benefits for the consumers. Fermentation processes used to make “kinetic ginseng” produce even more metabolites that have powerful health benefits.
- Ginsenoside Rg3 – A ginsenoside derived from red Ginseng that has been fermented. Rg3 is a metabolite that is found in the blood of those who consume red Ginseng, but it is not present in the raw un-fermented herb. It is an immune powerhouse.
- Astragaloside IV – One of dozens of astragalosides that have been discovered in the super-herb Astragalus root, Astragaloside IV is the single constituent that seems to be involved in all of the famous tonic’s most important functions. Astragaloside IV supports immune functions in many ways and definitely interacts with the telomeres that bind our chromosomes and DNA.
- Tanshinone IIA – A main constituent of the amazing herb Salvia miltiorrhiza, a key herb in the Asian health system famous for benefitting the cardiovascular system. Tanshinone IIA not only contributes to cardiovascular functioning and health, but also has profound immune supporting properties.
- Gypenosides – A form of saponin found in Gynostemma leaf. Gypenosides are very similar to ginsenosides found in Ginseng. In fact some are identical. They promote adaptability and support other critical functions such as suppressing excessive nuclear factor kappa B activity via the PPAR pathway, which is known as a longevity pathway. Gypenoside XLIX (49) is believed to be the most potent gypenosides in Gynostemma and may have profound anti-aging actions.
- Resveratrol – A type of natural phenol produced naturally by several plants such as grapes, blueberries, raspberries, mulberries and by a Chinese herb known as Polygonum cuspidatum. These plants produce Resveratrol in response to injury or when the plant is under attack. One particular form known as trans-resveratrol is now known to be a potent antioxidant that has shown benefits in animals and humans as a dietary supplement by regulating cellular metabolism to approximate a state of reduce dietary caloric intake.
- L-Theanine – A calming counterpart to caffeine found in tea leaves of the Camellia sinensis bush (tea plant). L-Theanine is an amino acid that promotes focused attention without causing drowsiness. It is very safe. In Japan it is used in ice cream and bread to enhance flavor. But its great nutraceutical use is for the mind as a nootropic. It has profound anti-stress actions, without causing drowsiness.
- Goji LBPs –There are five different LBP molecules in Goji berries (and to a lesser degree in Lycium leaves), collectively known as Lycium Barbarum Polysaccharides (LBPs). LBPs are a constituent unique to Goji berries and leaves, and LBP is Goji’s main constituent. LBP has been demonstrated to support metabolic functions, stamina, immune functions, the skin and normal healthy DNA activities.* LBP supports our innate antioxidant system by supporting SOD (superoxide dismutase) production and activity. SOD protects our cells (including the cells of the brain, heart, kidneys, liver and other organs) from the ravages of internally-generated free radical accumulations from normal living. As we age, the innate SOD system gradually weakens and requires dietary support to remain effective. Goji LBP-40 is a full spectrum Goji berry extract, with every nutraceutical component of Goji present. Goji LBP-40 contains all five known LBPs, plus flavonoids, carotenoids (zeaxanthin and beta-carotene), a vitamin C precursor that converts to vitamin C once it is absorbed into the blood stream, and zinc.
- Baicalin – The primary ingredient in Scutellaria baicalensis, commonly known as Scute, is a flavone glycoside which activates AMPK and has been shown to be a highly protective natural ingredient. Orally consumed Baicalin is metabolized by beneficial gut microbes, resulting in optimized sugar metabolism in healthy non-clinical individuals.
Dragon Herbs Nutraceuticals Are Always in a Base of Related Herbal Extracts
These nutraceuticals then can best be used with their mother-herb in different proportions, or they may be added to different herbal extracts. While Western pharmaceutical science mainly focuses on the identification and isolation of single active constituents from plants that interact with single therapeutic targets, the tonic herbal system is primarily interested in maintaining a balance between the body and the environment. This harmony is believed to support general health and well-being. This often involves the use of mixtures of herbs, and in the Nutraceutical Herbalism™ line, nutraceuticals are blended with herbal synergistically related extracts. Altogether, these constituents contain multiple chemical groups and compounds with diverse biological actions. Only herbs and nutraceuticals that have been shown to be safe in humans are used in the Nutraceutical Herbalism™ line. The nutraceutical components are added to conventionally-used herbal extracts of high purity to boost the key activities of the formulation. The herbal extracts on the other hand, support the actions of nutraceuticals by providing co-factors and by harmonizing the functions of the formulation. Compounds not only act synergistically with other compounds from the same plant, but also may enhance the activity or counteract the toxicity of compounds from other plants. For example Astragaloside IV, the main active constituent of the great tonic herb Astragalus membranaceus root, has been shown to be more effective when it is combined in a base of Total Astragalosides (all astragalosides existent in the Astragalus root) and a full extraction of all active components of Astragalus root.
Ron Teeguarden’s Dragon Herbs Nutraceutical Herbalism™Advanced Products
Astragalus Advanced - (Astragaloside IV – plus Total Astragalosides and extract of Astragalus root)
Tao in a Bottle - (L-Theanine - plus extracts of Gynostemma, Reishi, Eleuthero, Astragalus, Schizandra, Himalayan Rhodiola, Asian Ginseng, standardized Ginkgo leaf)
Super Pill No.1 - (Gypenosides & Goji LBPs – plus Gynostemma, Himalayan Rhodiola, Reishi, Goji extracts)
Super Pill No.2 - (Astragaloside IV, Resveratrol & Gypenosides – plus extracts of Asian Ginseng, Astragalus, Gynostemma, Heshouwu, Himalayan Rhodiola)
Super Pill No.3 - (Kinetic Ginseng (Total Ginsenosides), Ginsenoside Rg3 & Tanshinone IIA – plus extracts of Red Salvia, Carthamus, Ligusticum, plus Saffron)
The Great Regulator - (25% Baicalin – plus extract of Bupleurum root, Scutellaria root, Pinellia rhizome, Fresh Ginger rhizome, Asian Ginseng)
Baicalin - (High dose Baicalin - 25% - in a base of Scutellaria baicalensis extract)
Protector 2000 - (Lycium barbarum polysaccharides LBPs – plus Duanwood Reishi spores and extracts of Agaricus fruiting body, Goji berries)